LifanForum.com
Lifan Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

T Motorsports eBay Store

skadamo · 23 · 14833

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
So Countrycruiser says he does not have an axe to grind.  Let's believe him and stay on topic.

walkingdude, those are all good points about the Lifan branding on your TMS.  Seems based on this it is safe to assume it was manufactured by Lifan.

mtliu

• View Profile
Would you expect Suzuki to service a Chevy/Geo Metro? They are the same cars built by the same people in the same factory. They are just branded differently depending on the model the company is using. Is a Geo Metro a Grey Market Suzuki Swift made with substandard parts? Both are made for the American Market - as are Skygo, Roketa, TMS, or whatever have you. . .

A Grey Market Lifan would be one made for Britian, India, or Canada, but redirected to the USA.

The Grey Market is sometimes so strange that exporting an item, then re-importing that item to the country of origin is cheaper than just buying goods made for that specific market.

These Lifans are not Grey Market - they are just not marketed through American Lifan's business model - just as a Geo Metro is not a Suzuki Swift even though they are the same car.

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Both are made for the American Market - as are Skygo, Roketa, TMS, or whatever have you. . .

A Grey Market Lifan would be one made for Britian, India, or Canada, but redirected to the USA.

So your saying the Lifan’s branded by Skygo, Roketa, TMS, Galata are built by Lifan with the intention of selling them in the United States with the respective brand names on them. 

If that is the case I agree, they should NOT be called “Grey Market”.

mtliu

• View Profile
If any of us went through enough hoops, we could get a crate full of motorcycles built by Lifan and you can have them branded "Stryderfan" or "Axe Grinder Special".

Right now China Lifan is transitioning their business model. With the IPO, it would seem they are trying to be more "American". This may or may not mean closing off the direct importer channels. Only time will tell. And these things do take time to develop, Roketa's or TMSs are still legal to purchase and are still made by Lifan in China - but what the future holds, who knows? If you want a crate of those "Stryderfan SF200 specials", you may have to get them now rather than later.

wjsteele

• View Profile
So your saying the Lifan’s branded by Skygo, Roketa, TMS, Galata are built by Lifan with the intention of selling them in the United States with the respective brand names on them.

That is correct.  Technically, these are not grey market bikes.  In fact, here is a simple proof... look at the decals on them.  They are applied at the factory and clear coated over... in the factory during the final finishing/painting process.

Bill

countrycruiser

• View Profile
mtliu,

Thank you very much.  Finally someone else who really understands the subject.  Maybe I wasn't being clear enough.  There are still some concerns in my mind about those units sold by others that say "Imported By American Lifan".   But, time to move on.

CC

walkingdude

• View Profile
I can agree with the time to move on to another subject sentiment.   

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I definitely understand a lot better now.  Thanks for the info guys.