LifanForum.com
Lifan Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

engine oil recomendation

paddyboy · 3 · 1810

paddyboy

• View Profile
Hi all, i have a Lifan LF200GY-2 trail bike and wonder what type of oil to put in it as the spec in the book SAE15-40 SE no longer exists, but i presume it needs to be able to cope with a wet clutch and be suitable for this engine, anyone any ideas for a modern oil suitable for the 200cc four stroke engine.
cheers all

countrycruiser

• View Profile
There are a lot opinions out there on this subject and most state that you should an oil that is rated for motorcycles.  American Lifan recommends Castrol MC oil but agree any brand will do.  All I can find in my immediate area is Valvoline brand and I have used it.  I also understand that Shell Rotella T has run the test and is also suitable although it does not say that on the label.  I think they are more interested in marketing to diesel engines than a comparative hand full of motorcycles.  Since I have a Cummins diesel in my truck and always have Rotella T on hand I have chosen to use it in my LF250.  I now have 2000 miles on it with no clutch problems and it always looks clear when I change it.  Just my opinion though.

paddyboy

• View Profile
thanks for that, i went to local bike shop who services honda xl's and they recommended silkolene pro 4 10-40 oil, so changed oil and no clutch slip, just need to get the answers to my other thread of poor running now, but thanks for the info from lifan members.
cheers