LifanForum.com
Lifan Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

Various How Tos

macdofwy · 7 · 7552

macdofwy

• View Profile
Could someone with an intricate knowledge of Lifan-moto please create a list of links to instructions and images of the basic mods?

Carb jet  (oh yeah, and how far is this jet tightened?  All the way? )
Rear Sprocket
Rear Fender trim
Front sprocket replacement
Chain shortening
Pod/Conical air filter mounting
Exhaust drilling ( please explain in detail... do I drill through both outer and inner chambers? How many holes in each?  Can I do this with the muffler in place?)

Also, which nuts and bolts NEED loctite?

Thanks for your help!!

MacDofWY
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 12:46:59 AM by stryder »

almonpoole

• Arguing with an idiot only proves there are two.
    • View Profile
Hi macdofwy,

I'm working a on rear sprocket howto.

The rear fender trim is really easy. Take the rear fender off the bike trim around the areas that overhang outside of the rear plastics underneath the saddle. Just leave enough to drill two new holes so you can install your tag mount. I'll try to take a few photos of my bike for you in a few days and get the photos in the gallery.

Front sprocket replacement is a no,no unless you want to grind into your engine case (see below)

http://www.lifan-moto.com/gallery/fs/

You can of course go with a 428 setup like another member did but unless you change your gearing a lot this is overkill, just buy a 520 rear sprocket in the 34,35, or 36 tooth range and you should be fine unless you like tinkering with the bike a lot.

Chain shortening is very easy just use a dremal tool with a grinder bit or a bench grinder to remove a link or two. There are many places on the web that will show you how to do this, you local hardware shop can tell you how as well. btw, the 35 and 36 tooth rear sprocket do not require you to remove a link, only the 34 tooth or below needs a link(s) taken out.

The exhaust drilling helps a little bit and yes you can drill with the muffler attached. It is not going to be the same as a performance exhaust Like Bill and I have purchased. More to come on this subject soon.

It does not hurt to use loctite on all of the lower faring screws and bolts, although for the rear plastics I would not loctite those as they are removed regularly for maintenance.

You can use it on all over the bike where you might find things coming loose, but mainly, on the four rear sprocket bolts when you change it out.

http://www.lifan-moto.com/gallery/almon2/101_0788.htm

There is a video on the air filter change as well as the jet change. When you take the old jet out just reverse the process to reinstall the new jet, it does need to be tight but not overly tight or you could damage it.

http://www.lifan-moto.com/video.htm

I'm sure there will be some other posts on these things from others users but maybe I've helped a little bit.....

Thanks,

Almon

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 12:45:06 AM by stryder »

macdofwy

• View Profile
Thanks, Almond!  I think you have covered most of it!  I have ordered an aluminum 34T 520 rear sprocket with some kind of bronze hard coating.  I also have a conical air filter and three jets on their way... 105, 110, 115.  At my altitude, I am gonna start with the 110.  If it is too rich, what kind of symptoms might I see? 

I am changing out my tires, as well.  My bike came with a 80/100 front and a 100/90 rear.  I am putting on a 90/90 front (Cheng Shin Barracuda C926 from JC Whitney $29 or so) and a 120/80 rear (Metzeler ME1 from Ebay, $36 with shipping). 

I also installed a trunk from JC Whitney as well.  The medium-sized trunk is a great size for this bike, it and mounts with two bolts without drilling any holes.  This is a great asset for riding my 6 yo!  I don't have to worry about her flying off the back!  It also gives her a great sense of security, and it doesn't even block the use of the handles on the sides of the luggage rack.   If you are interested, go to www.jcwhitney.com and search for item number ZX277021.

almonpoole

• View Profile
When it comes to jets there a few different reasons for needing different sizes.

1: Altitude

2: How restrictive is your bike, meaning, have you changed the air filter and exhaust out or just the air filter.

3: Temperature.

As a base example, I live at an altitude of 450 feet in North west Alabama so the temp is warm and muggy most of the year. I changed out my air filter and drilled my exhaust and I have always used a #115. I just received my new exhaust today and after install I am guessing I can get by with a #125 or larger.

You can generally tell if the bike is running to rich by opening up the throttle, if the bike smothers itself at full throttle then you are too rich, if you are too lean the engine will run hot.

Another to tell is by running the bike for a while then pulling the spark plug and looking at it, you want to pull the spark plug before you do this first so you have a point of reference.

A black/brown plug means the bike is running too rich while a white plug means the bike is running to lean. It is better to run a little rich than a little to lean as a rule. The leaner the engine the warmer it will run and that can burn the engine up.

Also about the tires, You can see in the gallery of Lifan-moto my latest bike with wider tires installed.

I am running a,

100/80-18 on the front and a 140/70-18 on the rear. Your tire choice is fine but you can go wider on the stock rim in the future if you decide to :), also be careful to make sure these tires are warm after a short ride, some tires on eBay are just not sticky enough for my taste. Of course for regular riding they will be perfectly fine, but don't dive into a corner doing 50mph down a 10% grade with you knee touching the ground until you have some nice good sticky tires on your bike ;D

Hope this helps,

Almon

wjsteele

• View Profile
Thanks, Almond!

Yep... he's a nut!!!  Darn... I don't care who you are... that's funny!  ;D

Bill

almonpoole

• View Profile

sniper8988

• View Profile
Hey guys I am new to this forum i'm hoping i can get some help with my engine. I just bought a brand new Lifan 110cc engine w/ electric start but i dont want to wire it for electric start. I cant find a wiring diagram that matches my engines color wires and its getting really frustrating so maybe someone has some info for me. My coil wires are Green and Black/Yellow. My engine wires are Yellow, Black/Red, Pink, Blue/White, Green. And on the stator wires are Blue/Red, Purple, Green/Red, Green/Black, and Pink. Its a 5 wire CDI system. If anyone knows how to wire this thing up PLEASEE let me know!!!