LifanForum.com
Lifan Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

What to do when you get a new bike.

Underbyte18 · 9 · 6108

Underbyte18

• View Profile
I thought that it would be a good idea to let people know what to do when they get a new bike, or the lifan LF200-III or B. I am also doing this because I don't know what to do.

Anyone have a guide or know a guide on what to do for assembely such as tips? Also what to do for the break in period, oils to use, what not to do etc...

mtliu

• View Profile
Get one from an American Lifan dealer - and make part of the deal a fender-to-fender warranty. Take it in for periodic maintenance and oil changes and get your three year's worth.

Or sift through newsgroups searching for all this info.

Or wait for other replies.

1st oil change at 0 miles, 2nd at 20 miles, 3rd at 100 miles. Use conventional 10w-40 or 15w-40 from the automobile section. Do not use synthetics until 1000 miles. Do not add in any Slick-50 or Dura-Lube or Marvels Magical Mystery Tour Oil. Get a gallon sized at Wal Mart for $8, it will last you your first 1200 miles. Then if you wanna pay the same amount for one quart of purple synthetic, the jokes on you because you need slightly more than a quart for a proper oil change. So you have to buy 2 bottles just to get 1.1 litres. . .

mmj4all

• View Profile
here is a link to the owners manual, compliments to chinariders.  If you have a strong grasp of the english language you might be able to read it lol.

http://www.chinariders.net/content/technical/LF200_Owners_Manual.pdf

One thing i have deciphered so far that i haven't seen elsewhere is on page 4 of 20 under the heading "USING AFTER KEEPING", bullet number 3 states what i can only imagine to mean that the bike is shipped with what i would assume to be an oil based lining on the inside of the gas tank (to prevent rust) which is supposed to be removed before filling the tank with gas.

I'll amend this post if i can decipher any other interesting tidbits that i haven't seen elsewhere.

wjsteele

• View Profile
1st oil change at 0 miles, 2nd at 20 miles, 3rd at 100 miles.

Actually, that's a bit too much, I think.  You can safely go 100 miles on the second change and at least 300-500 on the third.  After that, I'd do it every 600-1000 depending on how you ride.

My bikes are running absolutely perfectly and broke in quite nicely.  The important thing is to not get the engine running to hard (or constant) in the first few hundred miles.  After the second oil change, you can bump the speeds and durations up a bit.  After 600 miles, your bike should be broken in quite nicely.

Bill

mmj4all

• View Profile
I promised i searched this one but what is the standard procedure for referencing mileage with a chinabike?  As i have read the odometer is in kilometers s it just assumed that everyone knows and adjusts their posted numbers to be in Miles?

Also sorry for the off topic post, as this is most likely a beginner question and thread hopefully i can be forgiven.

wjsteele

• View Profile
Both of my Lifans are in MPH.  The only others I have seen either have MPH only or are marked with both MPH and KPH.

But, to answer your question, 1 Mile = 1.6 Kilometers.

Bill

mmj4all

• View Profile
So the speedo is in both but i have read that the odometer is in kilometers.   ???

wjsteele

• View Profile
I don't know about those models, both the speedo and odo on my bikes are mph.

Bill

wrench2222

• View Profile
I thought that it would be a good idea to let people know what to do when they get a new bike, or the lifan LF200-III or B. I am also doing this because I don't know what to do.

Anyone have a guide or know a guide on what to do for assembely such as tips? Also what to do for the break in period, oils to use, what not to do etc...
if your bike was shipped to you the front wheel will have to be put on. before you tighten the axle nut (40ft/lbs), check to see if if the front forks are bent inward by tightening the axle nut if they are your going to have to use a shim between the spacer and fork on the side opposite the brake disk or your forks will suffer premature bushing and seal wear. tighten all the fasteners you can reach ive prepped two bikes that had critical bolts loose, one was a upper fork pinch bolt!. the lower fork pinch bolt looks like a 17 0r 18mm but its not, i found a 5/8 wrench fits it. if your fuel gauge does not work or stops working the connector to the sender is found under the tank. the small brass screw located in the front of your carburetor about halfway up meters fuel for the air/fuel mixture of the idle circut only . its hard to reach as the screwdriver slot faces down. if your having trouble starting the bike or keeping a idle you may have to adjust it. after you have warmed the bike up adjust the screw in small increments until you get the highest idle then bring the idle to spec (1500rpm) by using the large screw on the side which raises or lowers the slide.  there is enough advice about motor oil (27oz) and break-in procedures on this site, you really have to keep up on the oil changes the bike is air cooled and has a screen as an oil filter. ive had my lf200 for a year now with no problems you have to keep in mind that its not a torque monster or built to be ridden like one. accelerate slowly, dont use the gears as a brake, change your oil at 500 miles, check fasteners once in a while and it should last, if you try to ride it like a race bike it wont.