LifanForum.com
Lifan Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

Getting Lf200 in spring. Plz help a Noob.

Underbyte18 · 14 · 8425

Underbyte18

• View Profile
I am getting the Lf200 in the spring and I have a list of things that I would like to do to it.

I plan on getting the black/silver 2008 model, then painting the silver over with yellow.

I want to mod it so that it can have a digital speedometer.

I would like to add a mp3 player sound system in it.

For those of you who do mods, how does a motorcycle benefit from having a new air filter, carb, and exhaust?  I would like mine to sound quite and not whiny like I kinda hear in youtube videos.  I would like to be able to hit 105 like some claim.

Does this bike come with a radio or anything?
Any storage on the bike?
Do I need to break in the bike?

I also don't have my permit yet, so any help for a beginning rider would help.  I am not sure how to go about riding a manual.  ???

Thanks for sitting here any reading my laundry list of questions.  ::) 

Anything else you can tell me would be great to. I also hear there are new bikes coming out from rabbit scooters...

Enduros

• Lifan Owner Since 9/06
    • View Profile
Well for starters repainting would not be too big of a deal but everything else would be tricky. The bike does not come with a sound system at all so you would have to custom mount some boat speakers probably in the fairing then make a waterproof cradle for your mp3 player to be safe without worrying about water damage if you run into rain. The only storage space you have is about a 6" by 8" compartment under the seat about 4 inches deep. And noise wise the bike is realy quite with the stock exhaust but you will probably never hit 100mph with it on because it is way too restrictive. Learning how to ride the bike is pretty easy as long as you know how to take off and shift which will take about a day or two of practice to get used to.

almonpoole

• Arguing with an idiot only proves there are two.
    • View Profile
Hi,

I can't speak to the sound system, but I have noticed newer helmets with mp3 systems built in so that may work out the sound issue. Of course you can somehow mount something but it would be tricky and getting power to it would also be tricky.

As far as the digital speedo I am absolutely sure this can be done but I have not ventured there myself and I don't think I will on this bike.

I have hit 105 plus going down a mountain and hit 100 on a flat road with a little tail wind. To achieve this you need to do a few things,

1: Replace the restrictive air intake with a conical air filter.
2: Rejet the carb
3: Change the rear sprocket to a 34/35 tooth, giving you a 14x34 or 14x35 setup.
4: Buy a new exhaust, although I have hit my speeds with the stock exhaust but I drilled it so it is less restrictive, this was on my old bike.

These bikes are not made to ride at these speeds all day, when I hit 105 I only did that for a few seconds and then dropped back down to 80. With the mods 75-80 is a good steady comfortable speed to ride at but when you need to the bike will climb higher in speed.

Fyi, I am about to take deliver of a new 300cc bike and I have a black/silver 2008 LF200-III with all the mods performed including the wider tires. It has under 100 miles and as soon as the title comes in the mail I will be putting it up on eBay. I am going to ask $1,400 for it, so about what a new one costs with all the mods and under 100 miles.

It will be on the home page of lifan-moto.com just as soon as the title makes it in.

You will need to finish the break in period though for about another 400 or 500 miles and then you can let loose on it.

My bike has the 35 tooth sprocket and not the 34 tooth but you can buy one for under $70 shipped.

Thanks,

Almon

Underbyte18

• View Profile
That 1400 probably doesn't include shipping :'(.

I am guessing that I can install the mp3 hub in the seat and drill a hole for wiring. Unfortunatly, I build computers and not bikes. My brother on the other hand has worked with them all his life and I can pay him to install the air filter, sprocket and maybe the exaust. How much does a good exaust cost and where would I get it?

To be Quite honest I never need to go above 80, but for occasions were my friend wants to show off his Ninja 250, I might want the extra power...

Also, how long can I ride at 70mph for?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 10:33:39 PM by Underbyte18 »

almonpoole

• View Profile
Sorry the $1400 does not include shipping and you would need to pick it up but it is about a $2000 bike with all the mods. At least it is getting close to that.

As for after market parts spend some time here,

http://www.lifan-moto.com/parts.htm

You will find all the major mods on this page.

I have ridden my old bike for about 3 1/2 hours at one time with no problems. I have heard of others who have ridden for much longer. I am not sure what speeds they were averaging though, but you should be able to go for at least three or four hours I would think. Does anyone else know for sure????

One note, when you change the stock gearing you lower the cruise rpm so that makes a difference, some people will tell you you can never run 70 for a long time but they are using a stock bike more than likely so it is key to understand who you are asking about the bike. There are many who just a buy a stock bike and give up. These types know very little and you will find them on other forums by the dozen.

The exhaust comes from the Philippines and prices do vary depending on if you just buy the pipe or the entire exhaust. I just purchased the muffler for under $130 shipped. Bataycan's store is where you want to go for the exhaust.

Hope this helps,

Almon

wjsteele

• View Profile
You can ride it until it runs out of gas.  I've done it twice with the Green Ninja Tutrle Bike.

Black Beauty still hasn't been on that road that much. ;-)

Bill

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
About the sound system.  Check out this video.  You have to watch about half of it until you get to the sound system product.  It is a tank bag that integrates all of you electronics.  Phone, music, etc...

http://www.motorcycle.com/events/2008-indy-dealer-expo-75906.html

It is $300 but seems to do the job nicely.

james

• View Profile
hey bill
at what speed were you running the bike till it was out of gas and what was the temperature outside. im just worried about taking it on a short (200 mile) trip this summer doing highway speeds the whole time.
james

wjsteele

• View Profile
Sorry... I didn't realize that part of my message didn't get posted.  You can ride for several hours (in my case... 3) and I still had quite a bit of gas left.

I normally go 300 miles on a tank of gas.  That was mixed cruising... some highway, some country roads.  Normally cruising at between 55 to 70 mph.

Bill

mtliu

• View Profile
If you want a sound system, storage, and ability to cruise long distances, you are looking at a touring bike or a sport tourer. The LF200 are built to look like sport bikes, but they are more like standards and will need a lot of customization to do what you want. You may want to look at a different bike - such as a Silverwing or something like it. These Lifans are all single cylinder thumpers and while it is possible to ride long distances, they aren't the best. These bikes are great for someone who wants to save money and likes to mess around; but all these mods we are talking about are mostly about performance and not comfort. Out of the box, these things vibrate horribly. This vibration becomes tamer after break-in and a sprocket upgrade will move the vibration so it's not so annoying - but it's always there. After 4 hours on a tourer compared to a 200cc thumper, the tourer will win.

Even a 200-250cc scooter will be better suited for touring than a LF200iii. But I'll give you this, it's not as cool looking - plus in many states, you don't need an endorsement to run a scooter (check with your DMV). There are 600cc scooters out there!!!!

almonpoole

• View Profile
mtliu is correct, if you want to do long distances you can get by with an Lf200-III but your feet and hands might tingle for the next few hours after you arrive at you destination :)

The changing of the rear sprocket will help remove a good bit of the vibration but not 100%, in fact on the 163 fml engine it will always vibrate some.

A touring scooter might be what you need or perhaps one of the 300cc counter balanced sport bikes coming soon.

Here is another option, no shifting, smooth riding bike with a sound system built in,

http://www.motorcycles.pro/Motorcycles/QLINKSaperoV3250CCFullyAutomaticMotorcycle/tabid/192/Default.aspx

And a review,

http://www.womenridersnow.com/PublicFiles/DepartmentViewer.asp?ArticleID=334

Almon

Underbyte18

• View Profile
I really am liking the QLINK Sapero 250. It would be more in my favor. I can't find out how much it costs though. I dont want to spend anything over 1500.  That is why I like the Lifan lf200III so much. People say it is a good beginners bike, but how is it good if it vibrates a lot?

almonpoole

• View Profile
It is a really good bike, the LF200-III that is, but there will always be a little vibration. It is a non balanced single cylinder engine.

The LF200-III is more my taste vs the Qlink though.

You can find prices here,

http://www.motorcycles.pro/Motorcycles/tabid/159/Default.aspx

Almon

Hoyt

• View Profile
hi im also new to the site. but so far i've been pleased.trying to get one at least before summer and already have an idea how to modify I'm sure getting your permit is as easy as going to the dmv and taking the test,at least thats all you have to do down here in Louisianagood luck with your journey and ride safe  8)