LifanForum.com
Lifan Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

Shifting Problems

Kitten Tooth · 1 · 1293

Kitten Tooth

• View Profile
Hey guys. Im new here and could really use some advice or help with my Bike. I have a Lifan 100cc trail bike. A buddy of mine got it from an auction for 300 bucks and it supposedly ran great. When he got it home it ran like poop and for some reason the digital gear reader on the instrument panel read 3rd as neutral. I rode it to my house to work on it for him since i had all my tools there. It would only do about 15mph and i was stuck in second gear. As soon as i got home i removed the plastics from the tank and proceeded to remove the carb. while loosening the bolts that hold the carb to the motor, i found a choke lever that was kinda hard to spot (didn't even know it had one...). It was set on full choke the whole time since the butterfly was closed inside the carb. I flipped the lever and turned the choke off. The bike popped right off, idled by itself and seemed to wanna do wheelies at this point:) So, at this point i was wondering why the clutch was so stiff and why 3rd was neutral... Some WD40 did the trick with the stiff clutch. I got the bike to start with the kick starter and pulled it out of the garage. To get the bike into first, i literally had to stomp on the shifter to get it to go down to 2nd, Neutral, and then 1st... I took off, accelerated through first, shifted to second, accelerated through that gear and then TRIED to put it into 3rd. 3rd was like a second neutral.. I did research on Google and found that this bike had a know issue of having a "false neutral". so i revved the bike slightly and forced it into third while there was a load on the tranny without using the clutch. It went in, drove for about 2 seconds, then slipped back out again. So i just shifted past 3rd and went to 4th (with lots of difficulty). The only gear thats giving me any problems right now is 3rd. The bike fires on down the road in any other gear but that one. I tried adjusting the clutch because it wasn't engaging fully when you pulled in the lever. Now the clutch is set perfect and it shifts to all gears except for 3rd with no problem. Is this a bent shifting fork, factory defect, or is something seriously wrong with the tranny and this isn't a normality?