LifanForum.com
Lifan Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

pitbull potential

shogun · 3 · 3852

shogun

• View Profile
Ive got a panda funrider. its basicly the exact same thing as a pit bull.
there are alot of good points about these little "motorized bicycles"
thats how the 50cc is listed on the MSO so there are benefits.
if you can stand the lack of power (the 70cc version is probably a bit better and it has electric start) and can drive it as you were driving a bicycle (30 mph all out tops). you can get 150+ mpg all day long. i put a lifan 138cc oil cooled (converted to air cooled) engine in mine bought off Ebay. now it gets an awefull 125 or so mpg. the engine transformed the little guy into a great town bike. i put an 18 tooth counter sprocket on the engine to be able to make some use of first gear (still way too low for the street but about right for deer trails). i bought a pipe for a mini mx and chopped it down so the muffler fits where the original was. the end is aimed at my right rear shock and since its still running a tad rich is making my rear fender black with soot. oh well. the lighting is tons better too since there is a more powerfull alternator on the 138.
it is a ton of fun. wheelies are eazy. no yanking on the bars. just click into second and snap the throttle open a bit. third gear too with a bit more throttle. the brakes are fair, a bit woody but im used to sportbikes so...cornering is awesome. the tires are very soft and grippy although i have gotten the rear to step out on a dirty corner. the cops rubberneck (well they used to) to look for a plate, which it has. i can drive this where 4x4 wheelers cant fit and i can get there legaly on any road.  i plan on studing out a set of tires so i can take it ice fishing too. it would be great for getting to a tree stand too. not as obvious as a four wheeler on narrow trails.  if you want to save a bit on gas and live just a few miles form work id recomend this setup.  i have around  $1200 into it. if you buy a pit bull, engine, pipe, aircleaner, clutch cable and clutch lever at the same time a dealer should cut you a deal. the wiring is a simple 6 wire. three colored wires match right off and the other three can be figured out just by taking off the left engine cover. I tossed the battery from mine too. less to replace and works fine without one. if you figure in $3 to possibly $4 a gallon gas in the not so distant future the bike would pay for its self pretty quick. especially if you drive a vehicle that gets under 25mpg. do the math. no. really. do the math.

PS if your of the large of size- lifan sells a trail 110 that is a copy of the honda trail 70/90. it is a bit taller and more room.

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Awsome information.  Sounds like a blast.

Ice studs are a lot of fun.  I put some on my dirtbike last year and it stuck like glue.  Pretty amazing...

shogun

• View Profile
Update:
My 138 pitbull is my main vehicle this summer. It has been very reliable.
Alot of people think its a Z50 (kinda is) and really like it. I recently put a regular hydraulic style fork on it and a hydraulic disk brake set up on it. It looks very cool for people who know z50s. The ride is nicer and there is less flex in the front when braking hard. my futre plans are to buy a smaller rear sprocket from CHP. first gear is useless on the street (handy on a trail...) and since i drive it on the street mostly i want to stretch out the top comfortable speed to 45-50. Ill be putting on honda fenders too. I put a pair on a 70 pitbull with a little work and really changes the look (for $120 it should) but for me they are worth it. Honda fenders are like little jewls. 2000 GSXR pegs fit with no mods too! The knobby tires will be replaced with street performace tires. I took of the mx exhaust off and put on an alterd orignal back on. It idles and starts better , has better mid range, and is much quieter. (if you want to do this yourself  ask an i will give instructions on this site) For the money you cant beat getting a big engine, not saying the 70 isnt good enough for the street (the 50cc is too slow for the street and is dangerous in my opinion). If a big engined pit bull is something you might be interested in.....first buy a 50cc pitbull (cheaper and are classified as a motorized bicycle in the title. may matter for licence) or a 70cc (eazier to hook up an engine with an electric start) if you arent handy in recrafting the stock exhaust and figuring out a hand clutch lever and cable (Hooper sells those too) you can buy a 125cc or 110cc engine with and automatic clutch from Hooper Imports. a 110 or 125 will fit with no exhaust mods. Besides an air filter and possible throttle cable everything  just bolts in.
I also bought a 70cc pit bull for an extra motorcycle to have around if the wife a friend wants to drive and for people who want to try one on the road (I sell Lifan too). the electric start is really nice and the gearing is perfect for the road. 40 mph comfortly. up to 50 if your in full tuck and arent too big.
I also bought a x-18 pocket bike with a honda styled 110 engine. Not impressed. the pitbull is much better made. The final drive and rear sprocket dont even line up! Not even close. so if anybody has and likes their x-18... im parting mine out.
when i get my honda fenders and street tires on my pitbull some pics will be posted here.
Do it!