LifanForum.com
Lifan Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

Lifan 250 starter good but acts dead

Art · 4 · 4456

Art

• View Profile
My starter was acting up at times  - trouble or delay in turning engine over. It finally wouldn't work. I push the starter switch, the lights dimmed some, biut no noise at all - dead starter.  Replaced my original 4 year old battery but didn't help, got a new starter but it didn't help either.

The lights dimming when I press the starter switch means something is drawing power, right?

Could it be a relay, and where is it located on the Lifan C25 cruiser?

Aditokdi

• View Profile
My starter was acting up at times  - trouble or delay in turning engine over. It finally wouldn't work. I push the starter switch, the lights dimmed some, biut no noise at all - dead starter.  Replaced my original 4 year old battery but didn't help, got a new starter but it didn't help either.

The lights dimming when I press the starter switch means something is drawing power, right?

Could it be a relay, and where is it located on the Lifan C25 cruiser?
Have you had problems with turn signals? That has been a problem with my 250. If it shorts out it can draw current all the time. If that's the problem disconnecting it will remove the current draw and allow you to start the bike.
It's under the decorative cover on the Right below the seat. I have tried to find a replacement for the original with no luck so have opted for a universal replacement.

Art

• View Profile
turn signals work fine

will disconnect and test though

there is some sort of diode in the starter switch circuit on the schmetic but I can't find where it is

you might be on to something - might be a short somewhere in the wire to the starter but no fuses are blown that I can see

countrycruiser

• View Profile
The switch itself went bad on mine on the way home from the dealer when I first bought it.  They replaced it and I haven't had a problem since.  It's fairly easy to check out with a test light.  Check the small wire on the starter to see if you have current there when you hit the button.  Also, check out all the connections on the wire harness.  The Chinese are NOT known for having the best connectors.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Dan