LifanForum.com
Lifan Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

Oil Filter?

RickF · 8 · 5036

RickF

• View Profile
I bought a new Lifan 250 Cruiser in August changed oil yesterday.  Dealer says there is no oil filter but I have a friend who has the Yamaha Virago (same engine) and that does have a filter....does anyone know if the Lifan does or doesn't have a filter?

Art

• View Profile
Yes, under a chrome cover on side of engine crankcase, held in by three Allen headed screws.

I use a HIFLFILTERO   HF145

Pats-bike

• View Profile
Hi, my Skygo 250 cruiser has a gauze filter but it's a pain to get out. It's set underneath the gearbox (foot brake side) right where the frame tube is and can only be removed with care as the spring which holds the gauze gets in the way. I had my first dealer service which included an oil change but when I asked about the filter I got a very vague reply. I did the second oil change and checked the filter which was pretty gunged up with bits so obviously the dealer hadn't touched it. Hope this helps, Pat
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 06:35:47 AM by Pats-bike »

countrycruiser

• View Profile
Hi guys,

I have changed the oil lots of times on mine and as Art says the filter is under a cover on the right side that is held on with three allen head screws.  I have never replaced it though because it is easily cleaned with a mild solvent (mineral sprits) and then blown out with compressed air.  It is sealed with an "O" ring that is also reuseable.  I have never seen any cruddy materials in mine though.

cc

Pats-bike

• View Profile
Ah-ha, the light dawns! I've just discovered that my bike has the same oil filter under the cover held by three screws as previously mentioned by the above biker - thanks for the info. I have a sneaky suspicion that the dealer I got the bike from doesn't know about the filter either. There is also the small gauze filter set under the engine but I suspect this maybe to catch the rough stuff from when the engine if first assembled and isn't too important I guess.

Pats-bike

• View Profile
I've just ordered a couple of - MOTORCYCLE OIL FILTER HIFLO HF145 to see what they're like. I would guess the filter paper will be slightly finer than the original wire gauze so will hopefully keep the oil cleaner between changes. I believe the Yamaha Virago has a greater mileage between oil changes so perhaps this is why?

Pats-bike

• View Profile
I have received the filters - HIFLOFILTRO HF145 and am well pleased with their quality. It seems that the Virago has a 3,000 mile gap between oil changes so I don't see why the LF250 shouldn't be the same when using one of these paper filters rather than the more open wire gauze. If anyone from the UK would like to try the paper filter then contact Peter at - peter@tyretectrading.com; - good service and reasonable prices.

GTiDon

• View Profile
Hi

Can somebody please post a basic precedure on changing the filter? Where exactly is it?

Do you have to remove the side engine cover (same one the oil filler hole is on?)

or send any pics of it to gtidon@macmillan.co.za please