LifanForum.com
Lifan Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

Lifan-moto is temporarily down. UPDATED, we are back up now.

almonpoole · 25 · 11185

almonpoole

• Arguing with an idiot only proves there are two.
    • View Profile
Saturday afternoon there was a fire that has knocked out electricity to our hosting provider’s data center.

We hope to have this back up and running soon, perhaps by Sunday night or midday Monday..

Thanks,

Almon

Below is a message from our provider,

From Doug Erwin:
This evening at 4:55pm CDT in our H1 data center, electrical gear shorted, creating an explosion and fire that knocked down three walls surrounding our electrical equipment room. Thankfully, no one was injured. In addition, no customer servers were damaged or lost.

We have just been allowed into the building to physically inspect the damage. Early indications are that the short was in a high-volume wire conduit. We were not allowed to activate our backup generator plan based on instructions from the fire department.

This is a significant outage, impacting approximately 9,000 servers and 7,500 customers. All members of our support team are in, and all vendors who supply us with data center equipment are on site. Our initial assessment, although early, points to being able to have some service restored by mid-afternoon on Sunday. Rest assured we are working around the clock.

We are in the process of communicating with all affected customers. we are planning to post updates every hour via our forum and in our customer portal. Our interactive voice response system is updating customers as well.

There is no impact in any of our other five data centers.

I am sorry that this accident has occurred and I apologize for the impact.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 05:23:31 PM by almonpoole »

Tejasmud

• View Profile
Got your email too. 

Better hurry, I'm having withdrawls.  ;D

almonpoole

• View Profile
I have gone ahead and started migrating lifan-moto to another provider. I have heard that H1 will not begin a test power up until 5pm central time today and then they will begin testing stuff out, if you include domain propagation this could put us out until late Monday and I at least need domain services back up by tonight if possible so I am moving everything, nothing personal as this could not be avoided by H1 but we all need to move on.

As I understand it there are about 9,000 servers down because of this outage, some of my favorite sites are parts of this outage,

http://www.mobilitysite.com
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com

This is really hard on Pez as the Giro ended today in Italy and there site cannot reap the advertising rewards as they are on site and doing interviews I'm sure.

It sucks and I plan to have some sort of mirror in the future for Lifan-moto so when these things happen I can basically change some name server info and be back up within hours and not days.

I'll keep everyone updated here in this thread until we come back online.

Thanks,

Almon

almonpoole

• View Profile
Here is the thread from the planet reporting every few hours on the status of this outage,

http://forums.theplanet.com/index.php?showtopic=90185&st=0

Almon

wjsteele

• View Profile
Hey Almon,

Actually, in my opinion, this could have easily have been avoided by H1.  Their fault was relying on "local" backup scenerios.  It only costs slightly more to have a redundant set of servers in an alternate location to avoid these types of problems.  

I owned an ISP for several years and I had multiple locations in Indiana as far apart as Sellersburg and Fort Wayne.  All the systems were 100% redundant and in the 15 years I owned the site, I never once had a failure that knocked it out.  In fact, I had a car run into the server room at one time and take it out completly and there wasn't so much as a single complaint from any of my customers.

I also personally use two different hosting sites myself for my mission critical sites and I control the DNS settings for each.  I periodically swap my name servers to make sure both sites are working correctly, as well.

Just a thought.

Bill

almonpoole

• View Profile
Well this is not an isp issue. The planet is simply reselling bandwidth to isp's. But I agree anything this critical that has such an effect on so many sites should have redundancy backups in place. I would think a lot of people with active site like lifan-moto are pulling their hair out by now.

I'm hoping I can have us back up by tonight at some point.

I'm currently uploading the May, 28th backup to my other provider and this will take several more hours to finish and then I'll let the domain propagate over.

Thanks,

Almon

almonpoole

• View Profile
I have uploaded the May 28th backup to the new provider and I am awaiting two things,

1: I am installing a newer version of Yabb forum and then I will overwrite the templates, messages, members and other stuff. This will take several hours to upload again

2: I am waiting for the domain to propagate. The DNS has been changed and hopefully this network outage will not kick us from changing the name servers.

So I wait.

I am hoping to have the site up at least minus the forum in around four hours and then in another hour or two after than it is my hope to have the forum back up where we left off on May 28th.

I'll continue to keep everyone updated.

Thanks,

Almon

countrycruiser

• View Profile
Why would someone post this info on another person's forum.  Doesn't sound very professional or ethical to me.  Just my opinion though.

almonpoole

• View Profile
The domain has propagated and Lifan-moto.com is back up and running minus the forum.

I am working on this now and I hope to have it resolved before midnight.

Thanks,

Almon

almonpoole

• View Profile
Why would someone post this info on another person's forum.  Doesn't sound very professional or ethical to me.  Just my opinion though.

Why would you make such a comment in a forum that has nothing to do with you other than to attack someone else. Stryder please ban this guy once and for all.

It has always been my intention for Lifanforum.com to be a sister site to Lifan-moto.com but this is why I have not moved in this direction because of these type of users who just go around kicking people who do not follow their so called 'values'. This user CC has always tried to force his values down other users throats.

Almon

almonpoole

• View Profile
Now that most of our services are back up I will continue to keep everyone updated on the Lifan-moto.com homepage.

Thanks,

Almon

almonpoole

• View Profile
Also a big thank you to Stryder of Lifanforum.com for allowing us to post updates here while we were down.

Almon

almonpoole

• View Profile
Arg, dns has gone down so I am waiting again. I will continue to make posts here on Lifanforum.com until things are back up for good.

Sorry and thanks,

Almon

Tejasmud

• View Profile
"Lifan Commandments LOL", possibly?

;D

Oh well.  :P

Could make posts on AL if you want..... LOL

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

I responded on the AL site also.

Hope lifan-moto comes back up soon. I'm loosing my mind.

Not really.

Really, the wife is in there cooking so almost time to eat.

See y'all later.....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 06:28:19 PM by Tejasmud »

almonpoole

• View Profile
Hey Tejasmud,

Well I hope we will be back up soon. DNS took a dive so I am basically just waiting now and I hope those guys will have everything back up soon. The site should start working properly again once we get the dns up.

I'll send out another email by tomorrow with the latest and I'll also post here in this thread. I don't think this will go on much longer than midday Monday, at least that is my hope..... This seems to be a major outage in the United States.

Thanks,

Almon